Thai Herbal Balls are a method of treatment utilized in traditional Thai medicine. This herbal therapy was designed to relieve pain and inflammation. A selection of therapeutic herbs, including phrai, ginger, turmeric and lemongrass, are wrapped in a muslin compress, steamed and then applied to the body in gentle pressing, circular and rolling movements. These herbs have the following benefits:
- Phrai– has the ability to help bronchial symptoms, asthma and colds. These anti-inflammatory properties when applied topically have a deep soothing effect to any contusion, sprain and inflammation of a joint or ligament.
- Lemongrass– has anti-inflammatory properties ans is used for sprains, bruises and sores muscles.
- Turmeric– this herb has a cleansing effect on the skin and promotes healing. Turmeric has anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties and helps with bruises, joint pain, sprains or muscles pain.
- Kaffir lime– are used for colds, congestion and have antioxidant properties. When applied topically to the skin, the astringent properties helps to cleanse the skin and promote healing
- Camphor. The crystals from camphor are used in most saunas. Camphor is used for stimulating and dilating effects for the respiratory system. It also has a calming effect on stress, anxiety and insomnia. Topically Camphor crystals has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties and helps with muscles stiffness, sprains, strains, bruises or swelling.
- Tamarind. The whole plant is used medicinally, although typically the leaves are used for topical remedies. Cleanses and purifies the skin, while the antiseptic properties soothes and heal the skin.
- Curcuma Comosa. The bulb is used to strengthen the muscles tissue of visceral organs. It has been used for the treatment of hot flashes, menstrual pain and chronic pelvic disorders.
- Acacia Concinna- from the bark, leaves have been used for hair care in India fro centuries. The bark contains high levels of saponins which is a mild cleanser.
The Thai herbal compress technique offers several potential health benefits: It induces deep relaxation, relieves stress and fatigue, boosts both emotional and physical well-being, assists alignment and postural integrity of the body, improves circulation of blood and lymph and stimulates the internal organs.